Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Hiker Feet

Don had been complaining about an awful callus on the side of his big toe that rubbed against the neighboring toe, thereby causing severe pain. I finally got around to looking at it. (I was supposed to soak his feet, then show him the miraculous uses of a pumice stone. But Don kept threatening to get out his knife and cut it off. AHK!)

The "thing" on his big toe wasn't so much a callus... it was a blister that Don had popped. But he hadn't removed the extra skin, and that skin had simply dried up and hardened. Kind of like a blister version of a scab??

Anyhow, after taking a look, I decided a pumice stone really wasn't the way to go. I just peeled it off. Oh, and by the way, I made sure he had showered before getting anywhere near his feet.

Don then mentioned how the area was still a bit rough, so I whipped out my handy dandy foot file - basically an emory board for feet. Don went to work and soon fell in love, declaring that he'd take it on the trail if it didn't weigh so much!

I noticed Don's feet are looking pretty ragged - very rough, with bits of dead skin hanging from his toes (former blisters). So I'll pack up the pedicure supplies and spend some time fixing his feet this weekend in Kernville...

No comments:

Post a Comment