Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A tragic ending... ?

Don's physically fine, so stop your worrying right now.

But he just told me that he's planning to call it quits:

Just wanted to let you know that i decided to quit the pct. The hiking was ok, just very boring. No signs of other hikers. Starting today its even more boring hiking. It finally hit me yesterday that i might never be able to get away from work to start again. And it seemed to me that putting our whole summer on hold for a trip that might never come was unfair to you.

I feel i made a big mistsake in not realizing that a thru hike was no longer possible. Had i, i would have started at walker pass. Anyway, i'll be home today or tomorrow. Unless you talk me out of it, i'm going to tell work that i won't go out again. And we can start planning our summer.


I'm so shocked, stunned, sad... witness to a dream being crushed.
Still need to talk this through with him.

Will keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. I must admit that I'm at least a little disappointed at this unexpected turn of events. After all, weren't some of us hiking the PCT vicariously through Don? But, I can understand his decision to quit the PCT at this point because of the situation at work. That plus the fact that there's more to life than the PCT. Well, since Don will be off the PCT when we visit in July, can he take some time off work for some class IV whitewater rafting and kayaking on Lake Tahoe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that is indeed sad but you guys will decide whats best for you as individuals as well as a couple.

    Does that mean no more blogging?

    ReplyDelete